Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

True, but heat is energy - and heat moves.  Many people confuse temperature
with heat, they are two different things.

>Also consider that a condensing gas boiler is a far more efficient
>source of heat than electricity from a power station. Cutting energy
>used by electrical appliances and replacing any lost heat with that
from
>the boiler is a win.

Looking at replacing our boiler with a condensing gas boiler at the moment,
but our current boiler is a small commercial boiler - a new equivalent is
very expensive.  You can buy a lot of gas for £6,000.
I've been seriously looking at a wind turbine powering a heat store.
Planning is an issue at the moment - even though there is a commmercial
windfarm with 23 x 350kW turbines nearby and just last week the local
school
stuck one up.

>I agree about the heat recovery, though. I keep meaning to fit fans in
>our downstairs rooms (10ft ceilings) - the temperature of the air near
>the ceiling in winter is unbelievable, and I could probably drop the
>thermostat a few degrees if I ever got off my arse and fitted them!

One thing I do is leave the bath water to cool down before emptying!!!
There's a lot of heat there, which would otherwise go down the drain.
Yeah,
I'm *that* tight!

Regards

Simon

Simon Coates wrote:

> What a lot of people seem to forget when looking at energy savings of
> an 'inefficient' appliance is that the by-product is heat. This is
> usable heat for most of the time, and not wasted energy. Heating in
> this country needs to be on for about 9 months of the year.
> Typical example is the energy rating of tumble dryers. Ones that expel
> hot moist air to the outside world are given a better rating than
> condensing dryers because they dry faster - but with condensing dryers
> no energy is lost - it 'stays' in the house. Only time you wouldn't
> save is when the heating doesn't need to be on in summer - but then
> washing should be hung outside anyway.
> I'm a fan of heat recovery systems - not enough emphasis is given to
> this subject. If all UK kitchen and bathroom extractors were replaced
> with small self contained heat recovery extractors the energy saving
> in the cold months would be the equivalent of a typical UK power
> station capacity.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

months...