Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

Simon,

> Looking at replacing our boiler with a condensing gas boiler at
the=20=20
> moment,
> but our current boiler is a small commercial boiler - a new=20=20
> equivalent is
> very expensive.  You can buy a lot of gas for =A36,000.
> I've been seriously looking at a wind turbine powering a heat store.
> Planning is an issue at the moment - even though there is a=20=20
> commmercial
> windfarm with 23 x 350kW turbines nearby and just last week the=20=20
> local school
> stuck one up.

I've done a fair bit of research on wind turbines and other micro-=20
generation.  I've come to the conclusion that only solar heating (not=20=20
solar PV) and ground source heat pumps are worth it - everything else=20=20
is a waste of time.  Wind turbines are only useful for large=20=20
commercial farms, and solar panels are only useful for extremely
small=20=20
or extremely large scale projects (small projects - such as the=20=20
flashing sign telling you to slow down when driving).  One report I=20=20
found finally convinced me of the futility:

http://www.timhunkin.com/a125_arch-windpower.htm

> One thing I do is leave the bath water to cool down before emptying!!!
> There's a lot of heat there, which would otherwise go down the=20=20
> drain.  Yeah,
> I'm *that* tight!

Problem with this kind of heat (along with condensing dryers) is that=20=20
it's very very humid, and need to open windows to dry out the room.
I=20=20
still do the bath thing anyway, although I don't have a condensing=20=20
dryer - I hate the things, they take forever to dry clothes.

Cheers - Piers