Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

But most of the time, that heat is in the wrong place.  It doesn't do
me
much good for the wall behind my fridge to be all toasty, for example.
The heat from a condensing dryer will be warming a kitchen or utiltiy
room, which probably isn't all that useful.

Also consider that a condensing gas boiler is a far more efficient
source of heat than electricity from a power station.  Cutting energy
used by electrical appliances and replacing any lost heat with that from
the boiler is a win.

I agree about the heat recovery, though.  I keep meaning to fit fans in
our downstairs rooms (10ft ceilings) - the temperature of the air near
the ceiling in winter is unbelievable, and I could probably drop the
thermostat a few degrees if I ever got off my arse and fitted them!

Mal

Simon Coates wrote:

> What a lot of people seem to forget when looking at energy savings of
> an 'inefficient' appliance is that the by-product is heat. This is
> usable heat for most of the time, and not wasted energy. Heating in
> this country needs to be on for about 9 months of the year.
> Typical example is the energy rating of tumble dryers. Ones that expel
> hot moist air to the outside world are given a better rating than
> condensing dryers because they dry faster - but with condensing dryers
> no energy is lost - it 'stays' in the house. Only time you wouldn't
> save is when the heating doesn't need to be on in summer - but then
> washing should be hung outside anyway.
> I'm a fan of heat recovery systems - not enough emphasis is given to
> this subject. If all UK kitchen and bathroom extractors were replaced
> with small self contained heat recovery extractors the energy saving
> in the cold months would be the equivalent of a typical UK power
> station capacity.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

months...