Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

  • Subject: Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:18:28 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon Coates" <simon@...>
wrote:

>=20
doesn't=20
do me
> >much good for the wall behind my fridge to be all toasty, for=20
example.
> >The heat from a condensing dryer will be warming a kitchen or=20
utiltiy
> >room, which probably isn't all that useful.
>=20
> True, but heat is energy - and heat moves.  Many people confuse=20
temperature
> with heat, they are two different things.
>=20

It does, but the place where you normally want that heat is around=20
your skin - in those two examples, that heat will most likely not=20
make it there.

> Looking at replacing our boiler with a condensing gas boiler at the=20
moment,
> but our current boiler is a small commercial boiler - a new=20
equivalent is
> very expensive.  You can buy a lot of gas for =A36,000.
> I've been seriously looking at a wind turbine powering a heat store.
> Planning is an issue at the moment - even though there is a=20
commmercial
> windfarm with 23 x 350kW turbines nearby and just last week the=20
local school
> stuck one up.

I wouldn't bother.  My village has a wind farm next to it with 10=20
(soon to be 17) 100m-tall 2MW turbines.  Despite there seeming to be=20
an endless supply of wind round here, they have managed to average=20
only 18% of that capacity (even lower than government estimates=20
suggesting 26% as a reasonable expectation).

In my next house I'm going to look into getting solar heating for=20
water.  I think that would be a more effective (and quieter!)=20
investment than a wind turbine.

Mal