RE: Re: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?

I do indeed have a great many of the exact systems you are proposing,
and I have them all talking to each other remarkably well.

CBUS - Check. Absolutely rock solid. Integrates very well with Comfort
SONOS - Check. Absolutely rock solid. Integrates quite well with both
Comfort & CBUS, albeit with some PC middleware.
COMFORT - Check. Absolutely rock solid. Integrates very well with CBUS.
KAT5 - Check. Absolutely Rock solid. - No sign of (or likelihood of?)
the switcher ever appearing though... :-(
HOMETRONIC - Next on my list. Hopefully implementation this summer. Also
planning the relay unit to interface to Comfort for (very) basic state
signaling.

I *understand* the points & reservations about mixing security &
HA,
although I don't necessarily agree with all of them. In terms of NACOSS
compliance for an alarm system, you have to give up so much of the
intelligence & nice integration features that it becomes pointless
(IMO)
to have a HA capable alarm anyway. - If you *need* the compliance for
insurance purposes, I think it would be far better to install a fully
compliant, but "dumb" alarm system for a fraction of the price.

However, I have long felt that security & automation are two sides of
the same coin... - turning lights on when you're away to simulate
occupancy for example... - is that security, or is it automation? There
are *sooo* many aspects of automation that absolutely only make sense
when taken in context with the security state, that for me, it was a
no-brainer: Comfort, and utilise the full gamut of automation and
integration possibilities that this provides.

I don't have a Homevision, so I can't comment on the friendliness of the
programming, or the automation capabilities in terms of the
"space"
available. Comfort certainly has enough programmability (responses, IR
commands, counters, timers, variables, etc. etc. etc.) for my needs.

I don't especially agree with the assertion about the programming
environment for Comfort these days either. Certainly in the early days,
programming Comfort virtually required learning machine code. Nowadays,
it's no harder than any other programming environment that I've come
across, complete with full human-friendly programming constructs that
we've all seen before (IF, THEN, ELSE, etc.) There's also a programming
wizard that builds response code for you by picking commands off a
context-sensitive list. I now find it very easy to program Comfort.

Granted, you *DO* have to apply a bit of common sense, - this *IS* your
security system after all, so obviously you need to be careful not to
compromise your security with your programming. This I feel, does only
demand a modicum of common sense though; it's not a massive worry IMO. -
In nearly 10 years with Comfort in my house, I think I can honestly say
I've never had an issue where my automation programming has caused any
problems with security. (Me drilling through cables is another matter
though!)

As an example, I just really quickly fired up Comfigurator and produced
the Comfort code for the first of the examples from your original
email....
<SNIP>
If  Hours >= 16 Then				!If after 4PM
If  SecurityMode = SecurityOff Then	!If alarm is unset
If Counter Counter020 = 0 Then	!if lounge light is OFF
CBUS On 2 1  	! Turn on light A
CBUS On 2 2  	! Turn on light B
CBUS On 2 3  	! Turn on light C
End If
End If
End If
<END SNIP>

That is genuine Comfigurator code, which could be uploaded to Comfort as
is, and will work. - look simple enough? (Everything after the ! is a
comment). Also bear in mind that I've left all the internal object names
at their defaults, - for easier readability, I *could* have changed the
name of Counter020 for example to reflect that it is the lounge light.

Comfort does also talk to other CBUS applications beyond the ubiquitous
lighting application (56). The Comfort UCM is able to place commands on
the CBUS network addressed to any application address. (Although I
haven't actually tried this functionality). So, comfort can set any CBUS
group address, on any application, to any level. It can also specify
ramp rates. Conversely, it is also instantly aware of any CBUS group
changing state or changing level, and can react accordingly, and
instigate a whole bunch of other actions in response, complete with all
the logic capabilities at its disposal. - what more is there?

Comfort also integrates very well with a PC, via a standard UCM (either
RS232 or Ethernet). Using this interface it's possible to open up
comfort (and thus everything else connected to it), to a full, rich PC
environment, so you can integrate it with the web, IM, email, etc. etc.
I use Homeseer for this additional layer, which has a very good
integration plugin for Comfort. This is the component that enables me to
integrate SONOS into the mix... SONOS talks uPnP, which neither Comfort
nor CBUS understand, but Windows does... Thus I go from a CBUS switch,
into Comfort, then into Homeseer, which then issues SONOS commands. -
thus I use CBUS switches to start/stop playback in various rooms.

As a little example of this integration; if I'm out on the road & want
to phone SWMBO at home, - but she's on the phone to her mother (so will
be ages!)... I can pop into MSN Messenger on my laptop/mobile, send a
"speak" command, and have whatever I want spoken via TTS on the
SONOS
zone in whichever room SWMBO happens to be in... MSN integrates with
Homeseer, so I start an IM conversation with my Homeseer machine, send a
"speak" command, Homeseer can then reference the Comfort sensor
information to see which room last detected any movement, then switches
the SONOS zoneplayer in that room to the line input connected to the
Homeseer PC, speaks my text, then sets everything back to how it was
before...

Homeseer also provides a web interface that allows access and control
over all the CBUS, SONOS, and Comfort devices, - although for obvious
reasons access to comfort via the web interface is deliberately limited!

There is shortly also to be a new touchscreen component to Homeseer
which may be of interest. (Due August timeframe at the moment)

HTH

Paul G.

Phew! - I hadn't realized how long I'd waffled on for!