Re: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?

Hi ben,

You might also want to consider how you might distribute HDMI signals
and also the matrix switching of the video sources  ?

Yes, you will likely need some scheduler / logical  controller... either
standalone or a PC based application.  PaulG has a very similar setup to
your proposal...  I do like the approach you are taking of having
standalone systems that work independently - and do what they are
intended to do really well (HomeTronic, Comfort, C-Bus, Sonos etc) - the
challenge comes with integrating them all.

ATM The HV controller is really good value (half price) .  The three
nice things about HV are that it is very capable but easy to understand,
100% dependable and of course it runs standalone without a PC so
available 24/7.    The restriction for your setup is essentially that it
was designed around an X10 lighting model.  It does now support 'Custom
Lighting' which could allow you [ via a C-Bus gateway ;-) ] to link in
with your C-Bus setup.  It wont interact with Comfort too easily either
although you can use inputs and outputs to synch alarm status of course.

Comfort is also of course well capable of 24/7 independent operation
although outiside of the alarm functionality it is a little 'tight' in
how you have to code things. By this I mean that you need a bit of
experience and it's more programmatic (lower level language) with
limited space than say HV.  However you would have tight alarm/lighting
integration. For me it's a bit against the grain to impose too much HA
control within what is essentially your alarm system but it's a
dependable and capable system.   I just wouldn't want to be constantly
revising programs in an alarm system I depend on.   You may need to
consider any insurance aspects as well.   I haven't looked at current
functionality of the Comfort/C-Bus connectivity - for example the
ability to handle other C-Bus applications apart from lighting.(??)
C-Bus now has many applications in use eg 'trigger' 'sensors' 'heating'
'security' etc etc..   I believe Comfort still links to C-Bus via their
application group levels synched to internal Comfort variables.

There are of course the C-Bus automation engines like the PAC controller
, touchscreens and their software applications like HomeGate.   Depends
on how wide a control you want from one system, in terms of the devices
and functionality encompassed.  This is where it gets interesting -
getting many disparate systems talking to each other and all manageable
from one HA controller.  These standalone systems have gained their
reputations as best of breed often because they are somewhat closed to
external integration.

Kevin