Re: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...

  • Subject: Re: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:27:44 -0000

Quite an enjoyable flight of fancy, looking at all the SAS/Sata kit
floating around now.

It won't be long before it's possible to build a proper SAN without
breaking the bank - arguably, we are already there.

One thing I'm a little confused about though - Phil, the "delayed
write failure" problem you see... I thought the entire delayed write
subsystem was disabled if you turned off drive write caching for the
drives?

I do this for my external USB 320Gb drives (I have 3 seagate units
hooked up to my server for extra storage), and have never seend a
blip out of them (although one of them did pop a delayed write
failure before I disabled the caching.

is it's only the write cache being disabled, it doesn't really impact
performance (well, only for lots of small writes, not for big movie
class copies).

Have you been down this route without success?