Re: Re: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...

All this talk convinced me to go and buy a mac mini to use as a
server!

Phil - What OS are you running? I assume OS X but are you running the=20=20
normal client version or server?

I have just spent an evening installing server and I am debating the=20=20
advantage in a small home network apart from geek factor.

Cheers

Ben

wrote:

> [...]
current=20=20
> system was

> > problems

> > > No - current system working brilliantly but there are three
> > identified
> > > "needs"...
> > >
> > > 1) Short term major rebuild to get the physical size
down=20=20
> quickly due
> > > moving house and not being able to house the server in its
current
> > big
> > > "multi box" form whilst I'm lodging / dossing with
friends and=20=20
> most
> > of my
> > > kit is in a storage container.
> > >
> > > 2) Medium term increase in "grunt". The current
setup is working
> > brilliantly
> > > and copes with streaming multiple audio streams, multiple
video
> > streams and
> > > even multiple hi-def video streams (although multiple
hi-def=20=20
> streams
> > are
> > > pushing it rather too hard for comfort) but when copying
around=20=20
> large
> > > amounts of data then an increase in disc-to-disc transfer
rates=20=20
> would
> > be
> > > useful, an increase in LAN access speed would be really
handy=20=20
> too (so
> > > Gigabit rather than 100Mbit) and a bit more processing
headroom is
> > always
> > > useful.
> > >
> > > 3) Long term increase in storage. Current platform is based
around
> > IDE
> > > drives and was put together when 160Gb IDE drives were the
biggest
> > thing
> > > available and were stupidly expensive. I think I have
somewhere
> > around
> > > 5-5.5Tb of storage (maybe more, maybe less) made up of odds
and=20=20
> sods
> > of
> > > drives ranging from 160Gb to 320Gb (plus a 1Tb SATA) but
it's=20=20
> spread
> > across
> > > so many drives (26 of them) that I really don't have a clue
how=20=20
> much
> > space
> > > there is and what data is where (physically). Trying to move
all
> > data over
> > > to 1Tb drives for point "1" (above) which means
migrating all=20=20
> drives
> > over to
> > > SATA as the 1Tb drives aren't available as anything else.
> > >
> > > I had found some 2 x 6 Pin Firewire400 + 1 x USB to SATA
> > bridgeboards that
> > > were quite cheap (=A325 or so) and I could have just
substituted=20=20
> those
> > (in
> > > place of the old 2 x 6 Pin Firewire400 to IDE versions that
> > currently
> > > have) as I went through retiring the old IDE drives so
was=20=20
> going to
> > stick
> > > with those but they've since been discontinued.
> > >
> > > To use any of the alternatives will require changing all
my=20=20
> firewire
> > cabling
> > > which is a not inconsequential cost in itself (about =A3150
just on
> > firewire
> > > cables) and when you add in a dozen bridgeboards at about
=A340 a =
=20
> pop
> > plus
> > > ideally a Firewire800 hub then it could well be cheaper to
build a
> > new
> > > "server" which is what I ended up exploring
yesterday.

> > > The only thing I need to find now is a supplier for either
of the
> > original
> > > style Coolermaster CM Stacker big tower cases (
> > http://tinyurl.com/3ydt5r or
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2yxncm ) so that I
can build a first=20=20
> iteration of
> > the
> > > machine that will satisfy the short term need for a
one-box=20=20
> solution
> > that
> > > will take all my current data plus a bit of
"spare" to tide me=20=20