RE: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...

> > I'm torn between sticking with the Mac solution I currently
> > have because it just works and going over to WHS but that has
> > its own problems
>
> As WHS is designed to run multiple external drives (although
admittedly
> USB) you'd have thought there would be no issues?

Well yes but you *SHOULD* be able to run multiple external USB hard discs
on
normal Windows however I know that there have been problems with the old
"Delayed Write Failure" on USB drives as well as firewire. I
didn't have too
many problems but when you've got a number of terabytes of data at risk
it's
just too scary!

Also firewire has the advantage of being ideally suited to daisy chaining
devices whereas USB would need either quite a lot of USB hubs or quite a
lot
of PCI USB cards in the W.H.S. PC as well as quite a hefty bundle of USB
connections from the PC to the external enclosures.

> With the Mac running so well though it's gonna be hard to leave it.

This is it ... the Mac just does so damn well (and now given that we know
for certain that it uses naff all power for what it is) then it's going to
be a real leap of faith to move from something that I know does work to
something that might not!

Phil