Re: dimmable CFL

  • Subject: Re: dimmable CFL
  • From: "Karam Karam" <kzkaram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:14:26 -0000

Can verify the non-linear characteristic in our tests. We got some a
couple of weeks ago and tested on our own dimmers as well as others.
If memory serves correctly I think this is typical (and perhaps
necessary?) behaviour when dimming flourescents but someone feel free
to correct me. The quoted range on the box is 2-100% but this is
called 'brightness' so I guess if we want to be pedantic then we need
to do some lux level measurements.

Another thing we noticed is that they did not always react too well
to a sudden change in dim level (by that I mean a single mains cycle
jump), but since most dimmers tend to fade between levels it will
likely not be a problem in practice.

Interestingly, and not something that I can say I consciously noted
before, several 3rd party inline dimmers we tried had an inherent
cutoff themselves ie. did not allow dimming below a certain level
even with incandescents - so prabably well suited anyway :-)

In summary (based on our tests), if you're looking for that smooth
fading experience from/to 0% then maybe not so good, but if looking
for an energy efficient bulb which allows some level of scene control
then probably ok.

Karam
IDRATEK LTD

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:

> 'strabge - were they Varilights ... ISTR they went down to
>
> Chris
>

> On 24 Oct 2007, at 16:53, Bill Taylor wrote:
>
> > Got 3 from TLC a couple of weeks ago. They do dim over a
reasonable
> > range with standard dimmers, I've tried a Z-wave dimmer and a
Byron

<wywywywy@>