Re: Re: dimmable CFL

I have 2 megaman "dimmerables" - 1 Bayonet, 1 GU10..

I've also got an "Osram Dulux El Dim" - just need to find time to
pick it up
from supplier!

I intend to test with X10, C-Bus, Dupline, Rako, EIB(/KNX), Domia-Ten &
Z-wave over the weekend.

Is there anything in particular you ("you" being everyone
following this
thread) are interested in? Let me know off-list if there's anything
specific
you'd like me to test - I'll do my best to accomodate.

Will report results when they're in :)

BTW - slightly off topic - - does anyone know where to get a single GU10
bulb holder?? (Nothing fancy, just a bulb holder that can be screwed to a
piece of MDF) - - I ended up buying a 3 way spotlight thingummy (on offer
at
B&Q) - - just to get *something* that would take a GU10 bulb!!

Cheers,

Rob

On 10/25/07, Karam Karam <kzkaram@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Can verify the non-linear characteristic in our tests. We got some a
> couple of weeks ago and tested on our own dimmers as well as others.
> If memory serves correctly I think this is typical (and perhaps
> necessary?) behaviour when dimming flourescents but someone feel free
> to correct me. The quoted range on the box is 2-100% but this is
> called 'brightness' so I guess if we want to be pedantic then we need
> to do some lux level measurements.
>
> Another thing we noticed is that they did not always react too well
> to a sudden change in dim level (by that I mean a single mains cycle
> jump), but since most dimmers tend to fade between levels it will
> likely not be a problem in practice.
>
> Interestingly, and not something that I can say I consciously noted
> before, several 3rd party inline dimmers we tried had an inherent
> cutoff themselves ie. did not allow dimming below a certain level
> even with incandescents - so prabably well suited anyway :-)
>
> In summary (based on our tests), if you're looking for that smooth
> fading experience from/to 0% then maybe not so good, but if looking
> for an energy efficient bulb which allows some level of scene control
> then probably ok.
>
> Karam
> IDRATEK LTD
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris Hunter
> <cjhunter@...> wrote:
> >
> > 'strabge - were they Varilights ... ISTR they went down to
> 1% ... ???
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > On 24 Oct 2007, at 16:53, Bill Taylor wrote:
> >
> > > Got 3 from TLC a couple of weeks ago. They do dim over a
> reasonable
> > > range with standard dimmers, I've tried a Z-wave dimmer and
> Byron
> > > dimmer.
> > >
> > > The biggest fault is that they don't dim to nothing. I.e.
they
> get to
> > > the bottom of their dimming range, which is still a
reasonably