Re: Re: dimmable CFL

not sure Aqua is quite that bad, or that it's SJ so much as industry
trends & having to compete with the ubiquity of 'Windows ... day to
day I use OS8.6 & OSX.4.10, and do still prefer the former, 'though
the latter has its moments ... as well as 'XP, which (IMO) is nowhere
near either for speed & ease of use ... it's a similar story with MS
Word, day to day I use versions 5.0 & 11.0, both on 'Mac, and the
former is streets ahead of the latter for speed & ease of use, in
just about every way ... IIRC, when they did version 6.0 they tried
commonising across platforms, so maybe that was part of the story
(certainly, they were soon offering $10 downgrades soon after, to
stem the riot) ...

'not heard of Siracusa & Gruber ... I'll have to dig ... 'cos the
HIGs are where I started from in trying to get a good HI for our
house & its HA ...

Chris

On 30 Sep 2007, at 23:28, Ian Lowe wrote:

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:
>> 'agree they've gone off a bit ... I'll dig into my files &
find my
>> copy of their guidelines ... they really were a pretty good
> attempt
>> at cutting through the chaos of the time ...
>

> Apple's Human Interface Guidelines were absolutely stunning - the
> problem being that when Steve Jobs came back from Next, they went
> right out of the window.
>
> The god-awful Aqua interface may well look "pretty enough to
lick",
> but it's pretty crappy if you just want to use the thing.
>
> People like John Siracusa and John Gruber have a lot to say about
> just how bad the 10.x Mac interfaces are from a Human Interface point
> of view. Steve Job's "cult of personality" means that the
good