Re: Living with Idratek

Thanks for posting that Jon.  I'd already pretty much decided on
Idratek for my new house, but that
has just confirmed it.

re the dimming - I understand that a 4-channel DIN rail mounted dimmer is
in the works

I'm interested in the new display panels, care to expand on that?  By email
if they're top secret :)

--Rob

JonS wrote:
> [...]
> devices and about 180 "nodes" (relays, inputs etc).  In most
of the
> house I have retrofitted it to the existing mains wiring, in the
> kitchen and main living area it is all completely new and
> predominately radially wired.  Some bits have been up for several
> months but it has really come together in recent weeks.
>
> As well as cat5 to the Idratek devices I have a mix of cat5 and
> various types of alarm cable to sensors (reed switches) in the doors
> and windows plus a few PIRs.  So even where the mains cable is
> original, there was still a lot of chasing and even more time spent
> trying to coerce wires under floors etc.
>
> So far the main function it provides is automated lighting with web
> and email control & audio prompts; but alarm, IR distribution,
voice
> recognition,  telephone control & messaging, heating control, CCTV
> multi-room audio and home cinema are cabled for and will be
> controlled by Idratek.
>
> A list of pros and cons follows, YMMV, but I am delighted.
>
> Pros:
> + Robust and reliable ? Reflex (basic) control possible when/if PC
> running Cortex fails.
> 	+ Hardware designed to cope with mistakes in wiring it up,
> fuses and over current protection ?I've needed both !
> 	-+battery backed "Idranet" bus, with all my nodes connected
> draw ~40mA so the 4Ah battery provided should cover most outages.
> + Cortex, the main control software is superb.  Good interface, good
> help, controls that go far beyond the level of sophistication I want
> at the moment, light footprint, ~6monthly major releases, regular
> glitch free updates/fixes all delivered over the web.  My main
> problems have been rooted in the steep learning curve I've been on.
> + Support, absolutely second to none.  It has been a steep learning
> curve but I've had numerous patient explanations from Karam and
> Vivian by email and phone ranging from the rating and protection
> needed for relays or digital inputs to the interaction between
> different light meters giving unexpected (by me) behaviour and how to
> get it to do what I want.  Emails are usually replied to within a
> working day.  I've never felt fobbed off and often the explanations
> have been more comprehensive than necessary.  Good documentation and
> very good "Guideline" documents.
> + Presence detection very good when there is contiguous sensor (PIR)
> coverage, not always 100% with the number of people in each room, but
> it gets the right rooms as occupied.  Glitches I have had have been
> ironed out by adjusting time-outs (I changed some too aggressively
> while setting-up).
> + Instantaneous switching of lights and appliances based on presence ?
>  far quicker than you could manually switch a light on.
> + Comprehensive built in controls for lights, fans, other switched
> loads.  Took a bit of time to get used to the differences
"properties" but it all makes