Living with Idratek

A few weeks ago there was some discussion on the lines of did
Idratek=20
live up to the claims.  About a year ago I chose Idratek and am=20
coming to the end of the main phase of my deployment; I have 18=20
devices and about 180 "nodes" (relays, inputs etc).  In most of
the=20
house I have retrofitted it to the existing mains wiring, in the=20
kitchen and main living area it is all completely new and=20
predominately radially wired.  Some bits have been up for several=20
months but it has really come together in recent weeks.

As well as cat5 to the Idratek devices I have a mix of cat5 and=20
various types of alarm cable to sensors (reed switches) in the doors=20
and windows plus a few PIRs.  So even where the mains cable is=20
original, there was still a lot of chasing and even more time spent=20
trying to coerce wires under floors etc.

So far the main function it provides is automated lighting with web=20
and email control & audio prompts; but alarm, IR distribution, voice=20
recognition,  telephone control & messaging, heating control, CCTV=20
multi-room audio and home cinema are cabled for and will be=20
controlled by Idratek.

A list of pros and cons follows, YMMV, but I am delighted.

Pros:
+ Robust and reliable =96 Reflex (basic) control possible when/if PC=20
running Cortex fails.
+ Hardware designed to cope with mistakes in wiring it up,=20
fuses and over current protection =96I've needed both !
-+battery backed "Idranet" bus, with all my nodes connected I=20
draw ~40mA so the 4Ah battery provided should cover most outages.
+ Cortex, the main control software is superb.  Good interface, good=20
help, controls that go far beyond the level of sophistication I want=20
at the moment, light footprint, ~6monthly major releases, regular=20
glitch free updates/fixes all delivered over the web.  My main=20
problems have been rooted in the steep learning curve I've been on.
+ Support, absolutely second to none.  It has been a steep learning=20
curve but I've had numerous patient explanations from Karam and=20
Vivian by email and phone ranging from the rating and protection=20
needed for relays or digital inputs to the interaction between=20
different light meters giving unexpected (by me) behaviour and how to=20
get it to do what I want.  Emails are usually replied to within a=20
working day.  I've never felt fobbed off and often the explanations=20
have been more comprehensive than necessary.  Good documentation and=20
very good "Guideline" documents.
+ Presence detection very good when there is contiguous sensor (PIR)=20
coverage, not always 100% with the number of people in each room, but=20
it gets the right rooms as occupied.  Glitches I have had have been=20
ironed out by adjusting time-outs (I changed some too aggressively=20
while setting-up).
+ Instantaneous switching of lights and appliances based on presence =96
far quicker than you could manually switch a light on.
+ Comprehensive built in controls for lights, fans, other switched=20
loads.  Took a bit of time to get used to the differences=20
between "behaviour" "connections" and
"properties" but it all makes=20
sense now.
+  Free topology, re-use your existing lights and decentralise=20
switching, add new circuits with centralised switching; radially wire=20
the bus, loop it around =96 I've mixed and matched as it suited me and=20
it just works.
+   Does everything I wanted in a single well integrated package.  It=20
actually does far more so my plans have grown too!
+ Scene setting for lights  and other controlled items (curtains,=20
screens etc) =96 not used this yet but the capability is there.
+ Excellent value for money

Cons:
- Some of the current devices look/feel a bit cheap/flimsy or like=20
scientific equipment, I understand this is being addressed.
- No wireless capability, yet.  This was never an issue for me, DECT=20
and Wifi really struggle to operate from one end of the house to the=20
other!
- Dimming options not as comprehensive as some light control=20
solutions, there is one size/rating.  My concern is that the rating=20
may not be sufficient for the lights I've got.  Mind you I have not=20
played with one yet.=20=20
- No roadmap for devices or capabilities in the pipeline.  Many=20
organisations sell concepts on the drawing board with Idratek you may=20
not get to hear about them until they are in production.  I've found=20
this a little frustrating as I've got a few devices that I would not=20
have bought (e.g. light and PIR) had I known a light temp device with=20
digital inputs was on the cards (its easy to add off the shelf=20
PIRs).  The plus side of this is that they aren't selling vapourware=20
and where they have known my interest in e.g. the new Display panels=20
they have been excellent at keeping me up to date with progress and=20
very flexible and helpful in getting me started while waiting. I=20
cannot have everything perhaps!
- PC security =96 the screen has to be left unlocked and you cannot run=20
Cortex as a service, security on the web side is fine (as far as I=20
can tell) but physical security required (esp if you have little=20
people with curious fingers!)

For me the pros far outweigh the cons, I am really pleased with my=20
choice and would heartily recommend it to anyone who can face chasing=20
their walls.

HTH
Jon