Re: Re:Building a PVR....Where to Start?

Hi Jon,

After having a good test of the Barebone Twin Tuner Freeview DTR.

Advantages:

- Cheap
- Easy, Quick Setup
- Good Features (Dual Tuner, Easy Recording Programming, Etc.)

Disadvantages

- Remote can be unresponsive (at an angle)
- I can't workout how to turn RF out off, so it keeps taking over my
satellite.
- Slow start up time (5-10 seconds)

UI is basic, but easy to use and has all the necessary functions.

James

On Nov 25, 2007 3:39 PM, Mark Golledge <markgolledge@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for the email.
>
> Are you saying that a single or Dual Channel Tuner should work in my
> current
> PC for live streaming even though the spec is pretty poor?
>
> My biggest issue is the distance from the aerial in to the computer
under
> the stairs. Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> The other thing was that I always have wondered whether a PC could
cope
> with
> an external USB hard drive of say 500GB if it can't cope with an
internal
> hard drive of that size. Is it possible?
>
> Seems silly to build another PC if there is one already there.
>
> Mark
>

> On Nov 25, 2007 12:09 PM, <tim@xxxxxxx
<tim%40timfletcher.com>>
> wrote:
>
> > HI Mark,
> >
> > you could put a single or Dual Channel Tuner card in to the PC
and use
> the
> > XBOX as the frontend. I do that and can stream a program on TV
via the
> Xbox
> > (XBMC) before it has finished recording on the MCE box - Which I
think
> it
> > pretty cool - Only issue I have found is that FastForward is a
little
> hit
> > and miss, but it might be my network (wireless from MCE recorder
> Router
> > and then Powerline from Router to XBMC)
> >
> > The CPU of my MCE machine is hardly troubled by recording 2
simultaneou=
> > channels, so I figure your machine would cope - your only problem
might
> be
> > storage mine uses about 1.2 Gb/Hour - You could use an external
USB