Re: Re:Building a PVR....Where to Start?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the email.

Are you saying that a single or Dual Channel Tuner should work in my
curren=
PC for live streaming even though the spec is pretty poor?

My biggest issue is the distance from the aerial in to the computer under
the stairs. Is there an easy way to do this?

The other thing was that I always have wondered whether a PC could cope
wit=
an external USB hard drive of say 500GB if it can't cope with an internal
hard drive of that size. Is it possible?

Seems silly to build another PC if there is one already there.

Mark

On Nov 25, 2007 12:09 PM, <tim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   HI Mark,
>
> you could put a single or Dual Channel Tuner card in to the PC and use
th=
> XBOX as the frontend. I do that and can stream a program on TV via the
Xb=
ox
> (XBMC) before it has finished recording on the MCE box - Which I think
it
> pretty cool - Only issue I have found is that FastForward is a little
hit
> and miss, but it might be my network (wireless from MCE recorder to
Route=
> and then Powerline from Router to XBMC)
>
> The CPU of my MCE machine is hardly troubled by recording 2
simultaneous
> channels, so I figure your machine would cope - your only problem
might b=
> storage mine uses about 1.2 Gb/Hour - You could use an external USB
drive
> with a big HDD in it - I just got 2 x 500gb WD Enterprise drives for
=A31=
07
> delivered from Ebay
>
> Cheers,