Re: Building a PVR....Where to Start?

  • Subject: Re: Building a PVR....Where to Start?
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:07:53 -0000

What sort of tuner cards are best? I note virtually everywhere
sells=20
Hauppage cards so are the good enough? If I were to setup up a=20
machine I'd like to go Mini-ITX so does anyone produce DVB-S with on=20
card hardware acceleration to take the load off the main CPU?

Many thanks,

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Adam Walker"
<adamwalkerinuk@...>=20
wrote:

> Try looking at Mythbuntu an off shoot of Ubuntu.
> I cheated I installed Ubuntu and then added Mythbuntu via the=20
synaptic
> package manager very painless compared to old versions of linux.
> I have had a single DVB-T card in I borrowed for over a week=20
recording off
> freeview.
> It has worked really well gives a better picture than Tivo which I=20
am
> looking at this for a replacement.
>=20
> Its currently running on a HP 1.7GHz Pentium desktop without=20
problems
>=20
> I was looking at a Freeview DVB-T twin card from ebuyer for =A350
> Then maybe later on a single card just for live TV and then I can=20
record two
> channels.
>=20
> The next thing is to get hold of an old Xbox like you and put the=20
front end
> on that under the telly.
> Anybody know where I can get one, other than ebay?
> I like the idea of getting a new one if I can still.
>=20
> Definitely a good program MythTV and now a lot easier to setup=20
using Ubuntu.
>=20
> Adam
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 24/11/2007, Mark Golledge <markgolledge@...> wrote:
> >
> >   Morning Guys,
> >
> > Hope you might be able to help.
> >
> > I want to build a PVR (i.e. ability to pause and re-wind live=20
TV) and need
> > some helpful direction.
> >
> > At the moment I've got an Xbox running XBMC (near to our
aerial=20
in) and
> > computer under the stairs (quite a distance away) running=20
Windows XP but
> > which is LAN connected to a router. They both connect
wirelessly=20
to each
> > other and am really pleased with the results. There is
something=20
missing
> > though and that is the ability to watch, record and pause live=20
TV.

> > Unfortunately the computer under the stairs is pretty slow:
> >
> > Intel Pentium III 600Mhz
> > 512MB RAM
> > 100GB Memory via 3 hard drives (most of which is already full=20
and the
> > computer won't cope with anything larger at the moment)
> > Motherboard: SE440BX-3 AA722396-112
> >
> > In a perfect world I'd have a decent spec computer running=20
(quitely) near
> > the Xbox and could then have the xbox as my front-end and the=20
computer as
> > the backend.
> >
> > However, it doesn't seem as though that could be possible so I=20
am thinking
> > about building a small, quiet PVR to place next to the Xbox=20
still using
> > XBMC
> > (if there is a plugin) as the front-end. Initial thoughts were=20
MythTV as
> > there is a front-end for the xbox but then I know this runs on=20
Linux and