Re: C-Bus in outbuildings

  • Subject: Re: C-Bus in outbuildings
  • From: "Karam Karam" <kzkaram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:35:22 -0000

Not sure why the pink cabling is said to be unsuitable without
knowing the nature of your ducting, but one low cost method of
protecting cable is by feeding it through some hosing. Obviously gets
more difficult with greater lengths.

Just out of interest we have one customer who has an outbuilding (old
barn) 400m away from the main house. He has run standard CAT5 to this
as well as some other cables via an underground pipe - don't ask how
he did that (I think using pressurised air)! Anyhow at the end of
this he has an IDRATEK panel type module with various sensors, relays
and intercom features. The hardware has been there for quite a while
now with no adverse effects, so from an operational point of view and
though I can't speak for C-Bus relay modules, I think so long as the
unit doesn't actually get wet it should be ok - perhaps at worst a
small reduction in lifespan. The modules spec. sheets will normally
state the temperature and humidity range parameters, but these often
do not reflect the effects of long term exposures to extremes of
humidity for example.

Another thing to watch out for if switching mains are safety
considerations ie. more diligence in ensuring hazardous voltages
cannot come into contact with people (or animals) since the
environment may be wetter and wiring more accessible to animals as
well as humans in stables.

Karam
IDRATEK LTD