Mac-Based Home Automation, Revisited (US)

  • Subject: Mac-Based Home Automation, Revisited (US)
  • From: "aeo27455" <aeolius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:32:52 -0000

I realize that my living in the States makes some of the following
info less accessible but I
thought I would share my revised Smart House "Wish List", in the
hopes that someone
may glean something useful from the rant:

While our new home was being constructed to allow easier access for my
son's wheelchair,
I began to investigate other means and technologies that would improve his
quality of life.
Currently proficient with an Apple MacBook Pro, Josh is familiar with the
Macintosh
Platform. Therefore, in my quest for a "smart home" solution, I
called several home
automation companies in my area. Most replied with the typical
"appliance salesman"
response, offering an embedded Crestron (appliance control) and Lutron
(lighting control)
solution. Another specialized solely in HAI systems, an expensive
proprietary solution
combining both lighting and appliance control. None seemed to offer the
"Think Different"
approach that I was looking for. None offered a package that included
proven assistive
technologies.

I looked at Mac OS X, the current Operating System for the Macintosh, and
the more
feature-laden Mac OS Server. Containing a wealth of Accessibility
Solutions, such as
Speech Recognition and VoiceOver, an audible interface for those with
visual impairments,
Mac OS X seemed the perfect solution for Josh's needs, yet none of the Home
Automation
bids I received took advantage of Apple's operating system.

Using the Macintosh OS and accompanying hardware such as the Mac Pro or
Xserve, I can
establish a wireless network throughout the home, using a combination of
the Airport
Extreme Base Station coupled with several Airport Express modules to expand
the range of
the wireless network. The newest base stations support the 802.11n draft
standard and
allow the connection of shared hard drives and printers. This would allow
Josh to use a
laptop computer, such as the MacBook Pro, anywhere within the house.
Macintosh OS X
also includes Bonjour, a messaging program that would allow all networked
computers in
the home to connect with one another for intercom-like functionality. For
outdoor use, a
more robust solution, such as the D-Link DWL-7700AP Wireless Outdoor Access
Point,
could be coupled with the Airport Extreme Base Station.

In addition to Mac OS X, there are several software applications, which
would improve
Josh's independence, within the house. Indigo 2.0, a home control server,
would allow Josh
to remotely control lights, fans, appliances, and other devices, using his
MacBook Pro. This
software interfaces with both INSTEON and X10 compatible devices, including
PowerLinc
interfaces. In essence, I could replace a wall switch or electrical outlet
with a PowerLinc
device, which would utilize the home's existing wiring and only require the
services of an
electrician, to give Josh control of turning on his own lights, closing his
blinds, and other
typical daily activities. INSTEON thermostats and sprinkler modules are
also available.

To assist Josh with his leisure time, I have looked at the Kaleidescape
Movie Server
System, which would allow Josh to access numerous DVDs without having to
physically
handle the discs. For a shared audio solution, Apple's iTunes application,
part of Mac OS
X, will link the music libraries of each networked Macintosh in the house
and play the
music through speakers connected to Airport Express modules. Apple has also
released
the Apple TV, a device that will connect to a standard television and
transfer media, such
as music, movies, and pictures, from a nearby Macintosh network. A hard
drive filled with
archived movies, connected to an Airport Extreme, and accessed by the Apple
TV would
also be an option, when coupled with various decryption applications.

Should a fire or similar emergency arise, I equipped the home with a
limited arrangement
of automatic doors. For external doors, I used two Open Sesame door units.
These could
be controlled either from an external keypad, interior pushpad, or X10
computer interface.
As Josh's room contains two pocket doors, one leading into the body of the
room and
another leading into the bathroom, I used two Gentleman Sliding Door
Operators, a
pneumatic device requiring the use of an external air compressor. This same
device can be
configured to open Josh's windows and is X10 compatible, accessible using
his MacBook
Pro and Indigo software.

For an additional measure of security, network security cameras, such as
the Toshiba IK-
WB11A or Panasonic BL-C30A, could be installed, both inside the home and
outdoors.
These would be accessed from Josh's iBook using an application called
SecuritySpy. Other
cameras, such as the Axis 207 series of network cameras, work within
Bonjour. For
additional surveillance a mobile camera, found on devices such as the
Erector Spykee
robot or the Surveyor SRV-1, could be controlled and viewed from any Mac in
the house.

To access Indigo, SecuritySpy, Bonjour, or Mac OS X in locations not
equipped with a
computer workstation, a touch screen wall panel can be created by combining
a Xenarc
700TS with a Mac Mini, a solution far lest costly than similar touch screen
offerings from
HAI and comparable home automation companies. Although less feature-laden,
an iPod
Touch could also be used to access an Indigo control panel, by means of a
web browser.

Should voice recognition within Mac OS X prove unreliable, there are other
options, such
as the AVSI Mastervoice Series II, a voice-activated home automation system
compatible
with X10. This solution is not interoperable with the Mac OS or INSTEON,
however.

As our new home was constructed on a 20-acre farm, I have investigated
several options
that would allow Josh to participate in both daily chores and leisure
activities. Using a
hardware interface such as the LabJack U3 USB based multifunction data
acquisition and
control device, coupled with an automated feeder like the Agpro Pro Feeder,
Josh would be
able to use Indigo to feed our horses, goats, pigs, alpacas, and dogs.
Using the Rain8 X10
Sprinkler Controller, he would be able to refill their water bowls as well.
A LabJack might
also allow Josh to monitor and maintain our indoor aquariums or an outdoor
koi pond,
using an application called Maquarium.

Mounting a computer, either a laptop such as the MacBook Pro or MacBook or
a smaller
unit such as the Mac Mini, directly on Josh's wheelchair could circumvent
many dilemmas
such as whole-house voice activation. The GimpGear Mobile Power Kit would
provide a DC
automobile accessory power adapter from a wheelchair battery, allowing for
the
connection of a computer, wireless access point, and other necessary
equipment. Mounted
next to the wheelchair joystick, an interface such as the Optimus mini
three keyboard
could be used for common functions, so that access to a full-sized
keyboards would not
be required.

I know I do not posses the knowledge or time necessary, on my own, to
create an
Environmental Control Unit (ECU) for Joshua. I lack the experience and
resources to
properly wire the system and use Mac OS X to concoct appropriate
AppleScript/Automator
routines, devise widgets, and troubleshoot.