Re: Re: Advice please on running cat5

On Nov 11, 2007 8:34 PM, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> PPS: why do we have to put Node-0 in the basement ... if it was
> quiet, we wouldn't have to ... and it's surely much better to have
> things close-to-hand - ie: can they be quiet ?

This would depend on what you're putting into it (obviously :-) ).
You can mitigate server noise by using small form factor / quiet
machines (esp the mini itx variety) and unmanaged ethernet switches
(unmanaged tend not to have fans) ... both would probably use less
leccy also so saving you a few =A3=A3=A3=A3.

Heat disipation could be a concern in the main house ... (again
depends on how much / what you are running) whereas chances are your
basement is/will be less heated (I'm planning to put my NAS in the
conservatory during winter to see if I "benefit" from the waste
heat,
rather than overheat the study)