Re: HELP: Electrical fault involving an X10 appliance module

On 10 May 2007 at 17:28, "Simon Coates" <simon@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Mark,
>
> That's the live terminal btw - caused by a bad contact between the
> plug's pin and the socket.  The high resistance has caused a hot spot.

Yeah.  I realised it was the live terminal after sending the first
message.  I meant to mention it in the second message but forgot.

There aren't really any screws in the x10 appliance module - which
appears to be the source of the heat.  So I'm puzzled as to where the
bad connection might have been.  I wonder if perhaps it was a spark
crossing between the live in and the end of the plug's pin on what is
supposed to be the switched live out.  It seems rather surprising to me
that there is no insulation here ... so a slightly longer pin on a plug
might cause a spark to jump the gap.

This would fit with the slightly odd behaviour that caused me to look at
the module/plug in the first place.

Regards,
-Mark.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4
> /strict.dtd">
> <head>
> </head>
>
> <!-- Network content -->

> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStartT**-~-->
position:relative;">
15px 0 0; float:left;  z
> -index:1;">
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEndT**-~-->

> That's the live terminal btw - caused by a bad contact between the
plug's pin
>  and the socket.  The high resistance has caused a hot spot.<br>
> Regards<br>
> Simon<br>
> ----- Original Message ----- <br>

white;"></span>
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEnd**-~-->
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStart**-~-->
> <head>
> <!--
> #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*f