Re: POwerline Networking - FYI

Funnily enough I was about to post about my experiences.
Again Shed as backup site using a NSLU2 with USB HDDs.
I'm using the AV version of the solwise devices - higher bandwidth.=20
"200mbps".  Managed 109 TX, 125 RX on the same 13A distribution
board.=20
Looking at my numbers running down armoured cable (can't remember size=20
now - 20A breaker IIRC) gives about 99tx/113rx at just about the maximum=20
length cable for the allowable voltage drop. (I, sorry they, put in the=20
cable several years ago and it was on the limit at full current)

I hadn't noticed the drop for RCDs but had noticed a drop for surge=20
protection distribution boards. Not linear between send and receive. The=20
dozen or so measurements I've done round the house in various rooms and=20
sockets give some quite interesting variations that don't seem to be=20
purely cable length. All numbers from the utility supplied - not yet=20
calibrated against real world throughput.

I couldn't find a Bargain remote raid solution. Too enterprise a=20
requirement.

I'm going to adopt a sort of "lazy-raid" (TM) setup. Some files
will be=20
copied once they are a day or so old via ROBOCOP from the NSLU2 in the=20
attached Garage (theoretically one hours fire protection from the rest=20
of the house). Other things (geovision data) will be copied by leaving a=20
ROBOCOP task running all the time refreshing every minute. That was why=20
I wanted the faster line. Some data will go to a cyclical store so if I=20
overwrite something by chance I don't have two copies of the same,=20
broken, data. (Think GDGs for anyone here that understands).

If anyone is interested when I finally get it all set up I'll post=20
again.

Simon

In message <02fb01c75f13$079d38b0$6302a8c0@timsnewp4>, Tim
Fletcher=20
<timfletcher@xxxxxxx> writes
>HI,
>
>just sorted out my XBMC and NAS network problems by using Solwise=20
>Powerline networking PL-85E.  Bought direct from Solwise @ approx
=A332=20
>each inc VAT and delivery - Just plug them in and away they go.
Neat=20
>little utility to configure security and measure bandwidth.  Looks
like=20
>a real 70Mbs on the same ringmain - seems to halve through each RCD
-=20
>Garage is half speed, garage through RCD extension is a quarter.
Might=20
>not be the case, but that is how it appears.  Works fine with all=20
>devices - A little more than I wanted to pay, but for less than =A3100
it=
=20