Re: Electric windows and opening in a fire?

  • Subject: Re: Electric windows and opening in a fire?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:12:36 -0000

I'm sure I saw a programme recently - Horizon possibly - that showed
work by a fire engineer.  They had designed a 'smart' monitoring
system for very large/high buildings.  It was quite counter-intuitive.

A key issue seems to be the room temperature.  As it reaches a certain
temperature a 'flashover' occurs and the room virtually explodes in a
fireball due to radiant heat.  The system monitored temperatures in
floors/ceilings and in a fire situation opened windows and doors to
create a cooling draught.  Though I think it could also close them too
in the initial stages to prevent smoke spreading and create exit routes.

They showed how it gave extra time to escape and allow firefighters
time to deal with the situation - in big fires it also allowed the
fire crews to monitor the building and understand when structural
failure (9/11) would occur.

So, not necessarily true that opening a window causes a problem, as I
say, quite counter-intuitive.  Mind you, the degree of sophistication
was staggering.  Not really HA and not exactly cheap if I recall.