RE: [OT] WAS: RAID, NOW: Uptime

Ah well, if you're going to talk about uptime, then I'll have to
mention
the story I heard some years ago (it may, or may not, be an urban myth,
I make no claims about its authenticity).

The story tells of an organisation that was a predominantly Netware
shop, which was migrating a number of old servers onto new hardware..
One server couldn't be found. The tech's searched high & low for
several
days - they knew the server had to be there somewhere, because it was
active on the network, they could connect to it, view its resources
etc...

Eventually, they hit upon the idea of tracing the LAN cable from the
main switch. After a while they noticed it disappeared through a hole in
a partition wall, so they went round the other side of the wall, and
there was no sign of it re-emerging...

After hacking away a sizeable section of plasterboard partitioning, they
found the server hidden in a wall cavity that had been erected some
EIGHT YEARS previously! The server was still running perfectly...

:-)

For my own experience, - I tried to install Ubuntu in a VPC a little
while ago, and it died miserably on its arse (i.e. it wouldn't install),
but I have (and do) routinely run *every* version of Windows in VM's
with never a hint of a problem. My own W2K3 server has been up for about
3 months now, - it would probably be longer, but I only  built it that
long ago....

Paul G.