RE: [OT] RAID

  • Subject: RE: [OT] RAID
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:12:37 +0100

> But, of course, Linux is much better and free. :-)

It does seem to fit with the usual UKHA Desired Budget LOL

I have built a few Linux machines when I was at BT to use as webservers but
the ones I built at home usually got rebuilt again as Windows machines
shortly afterwards as everything I do is mainly based around Windows.

I have some intranet applications written in PHP and MySQL that are running
fine on IIS alongside ASP/Access applications.

One that I am using at the moment is mostly ASP/Access but actually has a
couple of pages written in PHP because I need the GD functinallity for some
image manipulation.

I didn't really get on with a Linux desktop, probably because the programs
use the most are Windows only so my only use for a Linux machine would be
for Web Browsing or Email.

I havent tried a Mac because...

1. I don't have access to one
2. As with Linux I need to run some Windows only programs.

I know you can also put Windows on an Intel based Mac but then it isnt
really a Mac then is it ?

Like it or loath it, I think that for the vast majority of computer
"users"
there isnt really any alternative to running Windows. XP Pro does all I
want/need at this time so that is what I stick with.

Keith