RE: External APC Batteries?

"Standard" automotive batteries (Flooded Lead Acid) don't
like deep
discharge of <50% capacity, neither do they like standing for long
periods
as they are really designed to be shaken around, otherwise they tend to
sulphate particularly if being float-charged.

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type are better for standby use, IIRC this is the
technology used in Yuasa-type sealed lead acid batteries - the sort used in
UPS's.

Squadron batteries have a good guide to the different types, life and depth
of discharge.

http://www.energy-batteries.com/downloads/marine_rec_broch.pdf

Their website also has info on chargers.

As you have identified, the key is not to let the batteries discharge too
far and that could be managed through the UPS shutdown parameters (i.e.
shu=
off at 40% instead of runtime limit etc.)

My opinion (and I'm sure Andy will confirm or rebuff this), is that the
replacement batteries sold by APC are exactly the same as the Yuasa NP or
NPL range, just with the relevant connectors etc. (which can be removed
fro=
the existing cells) and an extortionate =A3lots price tag.

Jim