RE: External APC Batteries?

HI, Jim!

My biggest concern is the charging circuit...will it be up to charging a
pair of automotive-sized batteries instead of a pair of motorcycle-sized
batteries.   My guess is that if I don't let the batteries discharge too
far, there shouldn't be a problem.  If the charging circuit is designed
properly, I would expect it should charge any sized battery (of the same
chemistry and voltage (number of cells) ) but take longer for a 100AH
battery than a 10AH battery (for example).

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a pair of marine batteries and
hook them up in place of the original (dead) batteries and see what
happens!

Thanx!!!
Guy> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx> From: jim@xxxxxxx> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007
18:02:32 +0000> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] External APC Batteries?> >
Never done it (but considered it a few time), can't see there being a>
problem in principle.> > A few considerations.> > Make sure the
cables, and particularly connectors, are up to the job as> there are a
lot of amps flying around!> > You will need something to stop the
batteries discharging into each other -> Big diodes are harder to find
and not cheap.> > The UPS charger is unlikely to be rated for more
batteries (unless it's an> expandable unit), so an external off-line
system with a big changeover relay> to connect the extra capacity might
be an option.> > > Jim>