External APC Batteries?

HI, Everybody!!

Speaking of UPSs and batteries....

Has anyone here had luck attaching external batteries to a UPS?   I have a
propane gas "on demand" water heater, that requires mains power
for the on-board controller, as well as the fan and ignition system.  We
live in an area that often has power failures, particularly in the winter.

I have a spare old APC UPS that was given to me because it is relatively
old, and had bad internal batteries, not because it is broken.  My plan is
to set it up in the garage and use it to power the heater.  With some large
external batteries (like the deep-discharge batteries used in marine
applications) I'm thinking that in the event of even a couple of days of
power outage (not beyond the realm of possibility!) the UPS would allow the
heater to start up and run when needed.

I'd have to extend the battery cables to reach the external batteries, but
that's not a big problem for me.

Any comments, concerns?

Thanx for your help!!!!

Guy Clark  (in currently soggy Northern California)> To:
ukha_d@xxxxxxx> From: Wayne@xxxxxxx> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:31:26
+0000> Subject: [ukha_d] APC Batteries.> > Hi all,> I have a
APC SmartUPS 700 with batteries that the APC thinks needs to be >
replaced. I have managed to get hold of a set from an APC SmartUPS 750.>
> Does anyone know if they are compatible at all?> > They
physically fit the UPS and seem to charge and keep the power to a > pc
when I pull the mains connection. The only thing that seems a little >
'odd' is when I pull the power and go onto battery, the ups normally >
beeps to let you know something not right - which it now doesn't seem
to.> > One other difference - the newer battery set had a connector
block that > was attached to the battery red/black spade connectors -
when they were > pulled from the 750 it has what looked like a 'quick
connector' block at > the back of the battery bay. My 700 just has two
leads that connec
t to > the black/red battery terminals that disappear into the ups..>
> There isn't any markings on the newer set of batteries that suggest
size > or rating otherwise I could compare.> > any ideas?> >
Cheery> Wayne.