Re: Is X10 still the way to go?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Chris Hunter" <cjhunter@...>
wrote:

> aye ... I had huge reservations about the Windows angle, server-wise
> ... took me a long time to be OK with the idea ... but the evidence of
> David's  (& now Paul's too)experience was reassuring ...

I work in the telecoms world (mobile stuff mainly) and was always
amazed to see some product vendors using Windows - a mobile operator
really doesn't want to use a Windows box for mission critical services
- Unix/Linux/Solaris/etc are far more reliable, manageable, resource
efficient, easier to upgrade, etc.

For my own home server(s) running Linux means that better use is made
of the hardware in terms of efficiency, Linux is easier to strip down
reducing the OS size so using less RAM, being (in theory) more secure,
and so one. Plus Linux is easier to script with so it gets a lot more
flexibility which is useful in a HA situation.

> BTW, if Windows worries, are you sure you'll happy with X-10 ...
> system reliability-wise?

That's a good question indeed - it is what prompted my original
question of what technology to use for HA that wouldn't break the
bank. I know in the past X10 had issues but with the patents passing
and so 3rd party vendors free to work on their own X10 hardware
directly I wondered whether many of the reliability problems had been
addressed.