Re: PIC Programming - a where to start...

Wayne, the PBX was really a rebuild. I took a broken Omnicom FS2828
and
used the extension amd line interface electronics, plus the crossbar
switch and some other bits and used a 16F877 to handle the smarts, plus
a 16F84 for tone generation. I keep thinking about Asterix, but the cost
of IP phones or the POTS interface cards for extensions keeps putting me
off. I use the PBX as a doorbell and granny alarm too. Plus one of the
exchange lines goes to a Linksys PAP2 VOIP adapter.

Some of the PICS have USB slave stuff, but I don't know about USB
master, I'm not sure about  Ethernet/IP. I chose CAN because my data
rates weren't high, the cost was low and I use Cat 5 for power and data
to remote devices. CAN has good noise immunity, and one of my devices is
a CAN <-> RS232 converter which a Linus program forwards to IP
connected
clients.

Pete