Re: PIC Programming - a where to start...

Cheers for the heads up!

The stuff I've been looking at so far is using a basic compiler that
compiles down into machine code that is written to the chip.
It has nice commands like 'sound' (to make a beep at a frequency for x
long) and 'rotate' to drive a stepper motor x degree's, as well as the
'usual' stuff.

Wow at building a telephone exchange! would not have considered doing
anything like that - does it take many external 'supporting' components
to get something like that working or can it be driven pretty much by
the chip itself? (apparently they can be 'forgiving' in what you feed it
and power / switch with them) - the closest I have to a phone exchange
is an Asterix system which nearly has caller line ID coming out on a
slimp3 box :)

Best start off with a few smaller projects first me thinks - One that
springs to mind is a basic fan controller for node0, more heat = faster
fan speed, that sort of thing.
Am I right in thinking you can get ethernet / IP stack's or USB output
from these things too? I must admit - haven't heard of a CAN network -
time for a google :)

the mind boggles!
Cheers!
Wayne.