RE: [OT] Help to set up a Virgin cable modem fro broadband access

The other thing to be aware of is that the setup process logs your
NIC's
MAC address with the NTL servers, then only the registered MAC is
allowed access.... - thus if you perform the process on a PC, and then
subsequently install a router on the line, your access is cut off unless
you do either of:

a) rerun the setup to register the routers WAN port MAC address with NTL
b) use the MAC cloning feature that the majority of broadband routers
have, so that the router masquerades as your registered PC MAC address,
so the NTL servers know no different.

In the past I've used both NTL's standalone cable modem, and their
integrated TV Set-top-box one, and always have been able to make it work
with my chosen router. That said, I've *never* run WinME - spawn of the
devil.... However, I've also never run NTL's setup software, - as
previously mentioned, it is entirely possible to do all the necessary
setup through an NTL webpage which you *can* browse to even before this
setup process has been performed. (I believe it's pretty much the only
site that does work until after registration).

Paul G.