Re: Re: xAP and UPNP

Howdy,

>  > 'still can't get my mind round this xAP & xPL stuff ... I
get the idea ,
> of course, but not the implementation - ie: how it's used & got
working ...

Following up on Ians post, the real power comes not so much from a
single device and a scripting engine (though can be very powerful), but
when you start having a number if not the majority of the automation in
your house connected.  At that point, xPL and xAP are the glue that lets
all sorts of devices that never heard of each other talk in meaningful
ways (via a scripting engine/determinators).  You find you can do things
you would never have thought of and, best of all, it's usually pretty easy.

> Of course, it might not suit you, as although there are a variety of
Linux
> and Windows apps/gateways, there's pretty much nothing on Mac, which
is

Well, actually, there is a perfectly functional xPL implementation that
is done in Java that easily runs on the Mac.  It includes an xPL hub, a
number of xPL device gateways, a scripting engine, device
configuration/logging GUI, etc.  Check out www.xPL4Java.org.  Also,
there is an xPL4Linux package there too which, while named for linux,
should compile under OSX with little difficulty.

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103