Fw: Re: xAP and UPNP

  • Subject: Fw: Re: xAP and UPNP
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 12:04:44 +0100

Not just you :-)

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 09/09/2006 12:02 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 09:10

.
Subject:
.
Re: [ukha_d] Re: xAP and UPNP
.
Category:

'still can't get my mind round this xAP & xPL stuff ... I get the idea
,
of course, but not the implementation - ie: how it's used & got working

maybe it's just me !

Chris

wrote:

> [...]
>inaccessible to most enthusuiast type programmers but it is very
capable.

>>Is my reading of this page right?http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?
>>showtopic=1596
>>
>>"A native C-Bus interface under xAP control is available for
>>purchase."
>>

>Yes - there is a xAP embedded controller for C-Bus ..
>

>>and
>>"To my knowledge there are two commercial hardware products
with
>>native xAP or xPL support. One is IP-based audio player SlimP3 from
>>Slim Devices.
>>

>This hardware is actually a mix of a hardware player and a software
>server solution. Both xPL and xAP conduits are available for
>SlimServer, both are software products. The xPL conduit is included
>within the SlimServer open source builds and the xAP one a separate
>application that connects via the SlimServer command interface (CLI)
>using a TCP socket connection.
>
> The other is an IP-based general purpose IO called
>

>>NetioM from Phaedrus Limited"
>>

>Yes - this a multifunction I/O device - 16 inputs, 16 outputs, 4 A/D
>inputs and a serial port along with counters and latches. It has xAP
>inbuilt. It's been shipping around a year now and great for HA.
>

>>So a SlimP3 could control c-bus connected devices via xAP?? or visa
>>versa.  At <Time> switch on music and lights.
>>

>With the help of a controller ..... Something that takes the various
>xAP devices and marshalls them into co-operation. There are a couple
>of 'free' applications that do this 'xAP Desktop' and 'xAP FloorPlan'
>both of which create visual front ends as well as allowing the
>scripting control. xAP Destop works with 'widgets' that float over a
>Windows Desktop and xAP FloorPlan works via a web interface - but
>includes a realtime response interface using AJAX.   There are also
>some commerical applications ranging from free to fairly costly that
>have either inbuilt xAP support or a xAP plugin available.
>MisterHouse, Girder, XLobby , and maybe Charmed Quark are all popular
>choices. MainLobby can interface to xAP via HomeSeer. There are more
>on the way...
>
>At the high end of control processor you can also use Crestron and AMX
>control processors with xAP should you have some programming skills.
>The xAP BSC schema dovetails nicely with the internal state model
>these two use and interacts over Ethernet.
>

>>Seems pretty powerful
>>I notice Comfort and Idranet also support xAP so could these
>>integration devices control an xAP device??
>>

>I am not familiar with IdraNet's support - could this perhaps be xPL
>they  support ? There is a xAP application to link with Comfort.   xPL
>and xAP can be interlinked using either xPL HAL or xAP FloorPlan.
>

>>There was a thread about xAP upnp bridgin about a year ago - it
>>wasn't conclusive, is there any such bridge now?  Given that
Windows