Re: [OT] Reconfiguring Ringmain to garage.

Wayne wrote:
> The Question: (eventually)
> Is it possible to take both the ring feeds from the main board and use
> this to feed this 'sub board' without having to run any more cable
back
> to the main board? Maybe with an RCD split to allow me to keep things
> like the freezer always on but other sockets to trip if there's a
> problem (at the min I've got an 'inline' rcd plug that I move with the
> tools I'm using.).

I don't think that would be sensible. If one of the two runs of 2.5
became disconnected from the garage somehow, the remaining cable would
not be adequately protected from carrying too much current.

IANAE, but it might work if you replaced the 32A MCB with two 16s each
feeding one of the 2.5sqmm cables. That way if one cable is
disconnected, the other can't carry more than its rated current without
the MCB tripping.

However, there's still a problem in that you could have a wiring fault
that goes unnoticed, and more importantly, someone could disconnect one
cable thinking they've isolated the garage wiring when in fact it will
still be very much live.

Jim