[OT] Reconfiguring Ringmain to garage.

  • Subject: [OT] Reconfiguring Ringmain to garage.
  • From: Wayne <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 00:19:34 +0100

Hiya all,
would like to run this past 'the collective' to see if this is
acceptable/correct/ not breaking any rules etc...

Our garage is attached to our house via a porch and currently has a
breaker in our main distribution board feeding a ring. Theres 7 sockets
on this ring in the garage at the mo, being used for things like washing
machine / freezer and a slowly growing collection of power tools (drill
press/ table saw/ various hand-held tools).

Currently the ring is the standard 2.5mm twin and earth going from the
main board - picking up each socket and then back to the board - nothing
out of the normal there.

What I would like to do is have a 'sub board' (?) in the garage that
could be expanded on as and when the tool collection grows. I'm not
looking at running 3 phase stuff or anything industrial in there, all of
this is going to have the old standard 13amp plug on the end.

As I understand things, 2.5mm is rated at 20amps - so having a ring
basicly says that the cable could take 40amps. (the breaker in the house
is a 32amp standard jobbie and I'm not looking at changing that).

The Question: (eventually)
Is it possible to take both the ring feeds from the main board and use
this to feed this 'sub board' without having to run any more cable back
to the main board? Maybe with an RCD split to allow me to keep things
like the freezer always on but other sockets to trip if there's a
problem (at the min I've got an 'inline' rcd plug that I move with the
tools I'm using.).

It would also mean that as the equipment list grows I could just add
another breaker in this 'sub board' and feed directly to it.

Thoughts?

Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks.
Wayne.