Re: MS RDC

Chris,

I can't help with your specific RD question, but may have another solution:

USB keyboard, =A32.99 -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DSB02742
USB mouse, =A33.25 -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DCS12898
CDROM drive, =A311.04 -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DCS12281
IDE cable, =A30.86 -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DCS12761

All prices are +vat so for only ~=A320 you would have all the bits you
need, bar the monitor. For that I suggest you look in your local paper
or Freecycle group and pick up an old CRT (analogue) monitor for next
to nothing. The advantage is that you then have the necessary bits
handy should your remote-access solution stop working and you need a
quick fix.

Also, I would've thought XP Home would've been more than adequate
unless you're doing something really fancy with your home network tha
would require XP Pro, but even then, IIRC, there are workarounds.

For remote control, have a look at TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com).
It's free :-) and multi-platform. MACs aren't specifically listed, but
you should be able to view and control your new XP machine via a
standard web browser session on your MAC.

Just one other question, why do you need DVI if you don't want a
monitor attached?

HTH,

Tim.

On 9/5/06, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> MS RDC
>
> 'sorry for the long question, but any help / views would be
appreciated
> ... we've now sent our order for our first long list of Idratek
modules
> etc, and are about to order the PC to run it - probably a VIA '13000
or
> '15000, with C7 & DVI & 1GB RAM & IVC200 - and I was
hoping to avoid the
> need for all the add-on stuff (monitor & mouse & keyboard
& DVD/CD