MS RDC

'sorry for the long question, but any help / views would be appreciated
... we've now sent our order for our first long list of Idratek modules
etc, and are about to order the PC to run it - probably a VIA '13000 or
'15000, with C7 & DVI & 1GB RAM & IVC200 - and I was hoping to
avoid the
need for all the add-on stuff (monitor & mouse & keyboard &
DVD/CD
drive) by using MS RDC to run the PC from my wife's old 550MHz G4
Powerbook (running OSX - 10.4) - I've Googled & Googled & read the
MS &
Apple files on RDC (extracts below), but I'm still not quite sure I've
got it right ... . Clearly (I think) I'll need 'XP Pro pre-loaded
(presumably) on the PC (rather than 'XP Home), but would I be able to
start-up the PC purely from the 'Mac, and would I be able to load &
update the Idratek software purely from the 'Mac, too, all without ever
needing to have the add-on stuff for the PC ?

Chris

(Microsoft) :

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=Article_RDC,
there was some information :

With Remote Desktop Connection Client for 'Mac, you can connect from
your Macintosh computer to a Windows-based computer and work with
programs & files on that computer. 'Mac users who have access to a
Windows-based computer on a network, including users on Intel-based
'Macs, can use Remote Desktop Connection as an alternative to Microsoft
Virtual PC for 'Mac. With Remote Desktop Connection, you can : access
everything available for Windows from your 'Mac desktop; copy and paste
information between 'Mac and Windows programs; use Windows terminal
servers to provide groups of 'Mac users with access to Windows-only
programs; print from Windows programs to printers connected to your 'Mac
(PowerPC Macs only). To connect to a Windows-based computer, you need
network access & permission to connect to the computer. In addition,
the
Windows-based computer must be running Terminal Services or Remote
Desktop Services. The following Windows products support Remote Desktop
connections : Windows XP Professional.

(Apple) :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/rdcmenu.html

RDC Menu adds an icon to your menu bar, allowing you easy access to
launch the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client. Besides being an
easy way to launch the client, it will also keep launching as many
instances of the application as you need ... you can connect to as many
'Windows servers as you want to concurrently (Xutils, Version: 1.01,
Freeware, 1.1MB, Mac OS X 10.3 or later) - (4 August 2005)

(Apple) :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

Mac OS X Tiger provides a variety of features & technologies that
enable
Macs & PCs running Windows to work seamlessly together. Macs & PCs
can
easily share files, share the same network and can even share the same
peripherals, like printers, scanners & cameras. ... Windows servers
automatically appear in the Finder ... shared Macintosh home folders
appear in the Windows Network Neighborhood ... through file sharing,
Macs & Windows PCs can open, edit, save & copy the same files using
shared folder or directory on the Mac or PC ... shared Windows printers
automatically appear in the Mac OS X Printer Setup Utility ... you can
create a queue for as many shared Windows (and Macintosh) printers as
you like ... Mac OS X automatically burns CDs that support the
cross-platform ISO 9660 standard, which can be read by both Macs & PCs
... if your Mac has a SuperDrive, you can also burn & share files on a
recordable DVD disc ...

Mac OS X Mail works seamlessly with Microsoft Exchange mail servers ...
Mail supports IMAP so, while you?re on the road, you can ... read new
messages, reply, delete a few items and leave other items for when
you?re back in the office. Mac OS X Tiger also uses standard GNU Zip
compression and expansion for file attachments so Mac, Windows and Linux
users can easily open & read them ... Mac OS X Tiger is VPN-ready right
out of the box & even supports VPN on demand, which connects and
disconnects securely to the network as needed. Mac OS X Tiger includes a
built-in VPN client that supports the Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol over
Internet Protocol Security (L2TP/IPSec) and Point-to-Point Tunneling
Protocol (PPTP), and is compatible with most popular VPN servers,
including those from Cisco and Microsoft ... Mac OS X Tiger includes
built-in support for Microsoft Kerberos (MSK) authentication and Active
Directory authentication policies, such as password changes, expiration
& forced password changes, as well as Active Directory replication
&
failover ...