PC Remote shutdown - APS/XBMC/Remote!?

  • Subject: PC Remote shutdown - APS/XBMC/Remote!?
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:09:51 -0000

Hi all,

Looking for a way to shutdown my pc remotely without touching it!

Found a few mentions on xbmc old forums of how to do it with a script
from XBMC but the software install was german and wouldnt work for me :(

Basically want to be able to push power off on my harmony and
everything turn off including the pc.

I have a X10 infra red interface and there's a appliance module in the
socket for the pc....obviously i'd rather not just flick the switch
off to turn it off, im sure that can't be too great for it!!

So...options...

1) I could get a Smart UPS of some sort that when it loses power it
shuts down the pc, so i could just turn off the appliance module and
the pc would just shut down.....not sure of costs or any issues with
that?!

2) some kind of infra red remote interface for the pc!? but ideally
i'd like a one click shutdown from the remote!?

3) some script from the xbmc, having to do a few clicks on the xbox
first would be fine,

4) some other option that i havent thought about that all you clever
peeps might know?!

5) someone tell me that it won't do the pc any harm at all getting
turned off at the plug instead of shutting it down?!

THanks all hope some ideas will come forth!!

Cheers

Noel