Decent Network Switch

  • Subject: Decent Network Switch
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:26:10 -0000

Whilst we're on the subject of decent network kit, it would appear=20
that I am now in need of a new switch. Looks like my Linksys 8-port=20
GB switch died sometime overnight last night, as every device in the=20
house seems to have dropped off the LAN. SWMBO has done a power=20
cycle of it (I'm not home to "fix" it myself *), and I want to
get a=20
replacement ordered up today if possible so I can install it ASAP.

I'd prefer to get a rackmount one, so I'm looking at between 16-24=20
port GB switches. Managed is a nice to have, but frankly not=20
essential...

Looking around a couple of my usual suppliers of PC kit, I've come=20
across:
=20
D-LINK DGS-1216T (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=3D324)
for =A3180=20
at Scan,

Netgear JGS516UK=20
(http://www.netgear.co.uk/mountable_network_switch_jgs516.php)
for=20
=A3150 at Ebuyer,

Not to mention a few others...

Does anyone have any strong thoughts or recommendations with regard=20
to either of these, or more precisely between the various mainstream=20
manufacturers (Netgear, DLINK, USR, Linksys, Belkin, 3COM, et al)...

Many thanks.

Paul G.

(* "fix" implies some strongly percussive maintenance...)