RE: Using MCE as a DVD server

  • Subject: RE: Using MCE as a DVD server
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:23:45 +0100

I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to copy any movies to my server. I strip out
any
subtitles, any foreign language audio tracks, any extras and any trailers
etc leaving just the main feature and English language audio tracks at full
DVD bitrate.

Average movie size is about 4.7Gb on average which means some still don't
fit on a single layer DVD-R but as I copy them for my own use - not for
distribution or playing "on the road" - then that doesn't matter.
If I need
to copy them to DVD-R for any reason (for Edwards portable DVD player for
example) then I just point CloneDVD at the server and tell it to create a
DVD-R of whatever movie I want.

The main reason I use CloneDVD and AnyDVD over the "freebie"
versions is
that firstly they are very easy to use and secondly they are spectacularly
well supported ... Several new releases of AnyDVD each month as new discs
come out with new protection schemes (probably only around one update of
CloneDVD a month as things don't really change that drastically in the DVD
structure - only protection) and always free upgrades. Add in that AnyDVD
and CloneDVD will (if you want) check for new upgrades and tell you if they
are available (you still have the option whether to download or not) and
it's just hassle-free IMO.

Phil

- I