PDA HA etc

Ray -

thanks ... like you I think Smart'phones make a lot of sense in the HA
environment ... I think I'll try to go that way, too ...

Chris

Sunday, 26 March 2006 - 18:11

to: ukha_d@xxxxxxx

has anybody, by any chance, tried having terminals around the house into
which PDAs could be plugged ... not only for easy synchronising, but
also to give access to the HA system ... my thought is that since
everyone these days has a PDA or Smart-'phone , then it might make some
sense to integrate them into the HA set-up, and save on some of the
duplication of switches & displays & other facilities ...

Chris

---

Sunday, 26 Mar'06

from: Paul Gordon

I'd have thought that most PDAs these days have either Bluetooth, WiFi,
or both for wireless connection...

Paul G

---

Sunday, 26 Mar'06

Yep ... of course, and I thought of that as soon as I'd sent it ... so,
to re-jig the question, is anyone using their PDA or Smart-'phone as
their prime day-to-day device to communicate with their HA ?

Chris

---

Monday, 27 Mar'06 - 08:55:21 +0100
from: Raymond Kelly   ray@xxxxxxx

I am and am constantly adding.   I use it to control my heating - talks
WiFi to a linux box that drives the actuator heads.   It will also do
all the other stuff eventually.   I've written the client side in .NET
and will get round to also adding an WiFi to IR facility.   I can also
view the cameras - GeoVision and Skype with it.   'would be nice to
integrate all phones - though not sure yet.   Recently saw this NetRemote

http://www.promixis.com/

it can control Media Player remotely and you can customise with your own
CCFs.   PDAs are a good way to control your HA as long as it has a
native IR and WiFi.   I think the future will be a Smart-'phone with
WiFi.   The 'phone manufacturers are reluctant to add WiFi to phones for
obvious reasons, but I think its inevitable.