RE: Re: Clipsal Ulti

  • Subject: RE: Re: Clipsal Ulti
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:07:15 +0100

Michael,

I suppose this depends on how you run your business.

You seem to have positioned yourself as the bank between your supplier and
=
your customer.

Why pay for equipment when you take collection, most of my trade accounts
p=
rovide at least 30 days before payment is required and this can also be
ext=
ended at no cost to me in most cases.

Why do you not take a percentage payment on order from your customer? I
rea=
lise this is easy too say and harder to achieve but a discounting scheme
an=
d project delay penalties can work wonders.=20

Cashflow, and the cost of money are major parts of running any business.

I'm not sure of the size of projects you work on but the time from design
t=
o 2nd Fix has got to be at least 4 weeks, even without the 4 week delay
you=
mentioned below? Even the build industry manages items with 4 - 6 weeks de=
livery time, custom staircases, custom windows, custom kitchens,
structural=
flooring systems, delivery of services (gas, water, electricity).=20

I accept last minute changes are inevitable but additional dimmers or
relay=
s should be ex-stock. Even a difficult customer will accept that a =A31000
=
all singing all dancing touch screen (specially made for them)is not
availa=
ble tomorrow.

As has been mentioned the issue raised is cost of supply. Maybe the
'trade'=
receives such large discounts that this seems out of proportion to the pro=
blem... But if the 50 - 100% differences I see between UK and Australian
pu=
blished prices are across the board (trade and retail) then you or your
cus=
tomer are losing out on quite a whack? I imagine that labour would account
=
for 50% of a C-Bus install with the other 50% going in materials, that
equa=
tes to up a potential 25% of the total bill made up of the difference seen
=
is UK - Aus pricing, a significant sum....

That would equate to a significant increase in net profit on your jobs or
a=
significant reduction in project costs allowing more projects to specify t=
he C-Bus equipment. Either way you would win...

Nigel