RE: Re: Clipsal Ulti

  • Subject: RE: Re: Clipsal Ulti
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:26:13 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Nigel Giddings wrote:

> I have to say that the situation appears less than straight forward.

You seem to be implying that there is price fixing going on. From our
experience of dealing with Schneider Electric (Clipsal's parent company),
there is no demand or instructions from them on what price we could sell
at. We could sell at whatever price we see fit. There are recommended
retail prices and various levels of trade discounts, just the same as
almost any other products or services.

> It is my understanding that Australian outlets are instructed not to
> sell to the UK, yet they are allowed to sell to other countries.

There was a legal case a while ago of Levi vs Tesco. Tesco was importing
Levi jeans from official distributors and sometimes retailers in the USA
and were selling them at discounted prices. A court case, counter court
case and appeals ensued but Tesco eventually lost. The legal case
establishes that the Trademark Directive allows brand owners to restrict
access to their products, at least outside the EEA.