[ADVERT] FS: 480Gb DIY NAS/Fileserver

  • Subject: [ADVERT] FS: 480Gb DIY NAS/Fileserver
  • From: "Quinten Uijldert" <yahoogroups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:22:31 -0000

I've recently "downgraded" to a 250Gb Linkstation, and
finally moved all my
files to it, so now I've got my old fileserver spare.

It consists of a Intel P3-800Mhz CPU with 256Mb RAM and 3x 160Gb HDDs, all
contained in HDD caddies for easy access and all housed in a case.  The
caddies aren't the most expensive ones and make a racket of noise when you
power the PC up, but the sound dies out when it's warmed up after 1 or 2
minutes.  I've always wanted to disconnect the fans inside the caddies to
get rid of the noise, but never actually done it.  There is one empty
caddie
left for even more space.

It's running FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org) as it's OS which
works really
well and is (as the name suggests) free!  All you need to do is change the
IP (defaulted to 192.168.0.66/24) using a monitor and a keyboard attached
and then you can remove the monitor and keyboard and manage it through the
web interface.  I'll help you going once delivered and installed if that's
required.

I've got a few pictures of the thing here:
http://www.awooga.nl/gallery/v/toys/nas/

There is no way I am going to split any of this, so please do not ask.  I'm
looking for £150 collected from either Aylesbury or London Docklands.
prefer collection as it is one heavy box, but I do have sensible packaging
if it needs to posted.  The postage will be at cost on top of it, estimated
to be between £11 and £15 depending on service.

Q.