RE: [OT] Removing scratches from carbon fibre?

>>Can I ask what you do / what your company does - polishes
plastics in modern
>>house building? (I can only think of windows & guttering and
perhaps giant
>>lego building blocks - you're not working on part of that 'house
for 60k'
>>are you? ;o))

http://www.the-plastic-surgeon.co.uk/

All uPVC, Baths, showertrays, canopies.......the list goes on these days.
But we also repair EVERY other substrate used. Even brick, marble, stone
and glass! We currently repair around 7-8000 items a week!

>>I've used g3 / g4 before in my 'car' days. I just had some
reservations as I
>>read somewhere that if I take too much of the resin off and get to
the
>>carbon, it would weaken the forks - but, with some cutting compound
I think
>>that should certainly help!.

Yup agreed. Which is why the idea of w&d is a little scary! Even 1500g
(Especially dry) has a fair old cutting action. I think I'd be starting at
polish, working down to a cutting glaze (Something like 3M's Finishing
Glaze), then to G3, then if your confident of results 2000g. Only moving to
the next one if you don't get the results you want.
Of course you could just cheat and use a coloured wax polish to 'hide' the
scratching if its not too deep :-)
Another alternative would be jewelers rouge poweder mixed with linseed oil
or you can buy it in blocks.

>>Any comments from your resident tech would be appreciated.

OK, I'll ask.

Rob

_____