RE: House Rewiring (Data and Power)

  • Subject: RE: House Rewiring (Data and Power)
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:08:47 -0000

Chris Hunter <mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> How about failure strategies ... when something blows, will
> everything go down with it ?   Lights & sockets ... .   And how
will
> you deal with emi / emc ?

Thanks for the reply.  Some points I'd clearly not considered.  I don't
know what happens if a light blows - I've never used any lighting
automation.  As for EMI/EMC (what is EMC?), is it a problem for people?
CAT5 uses twisted pairs to reduce interference, which should be enough
when coupled with not running it in the same trunking as the power.  I'm
hoping to avoid X10 and other power-line communication devices, so
interference over the power lines shouldn't be an issue.  Is there
something I'm missing here?

> CBUS uses a specially control/signal cable, of course ... and
> needs to be kept separate, as per their literature ...

Indeed it does.  It's just CAT5e though, AFAIK.

> Telephone, Cable, aerial (terrestrial & satellite) ... ?

CAT5 will do the phones, but I have no interest in cable TV, or
satellite, as Toppy (which has just replaced my Tivo) catches far more
TV than I can ever watch.

Cheers,
Andy