Latest message you have seen: Re: DIN Rail Support Brackets?

Re: Re: Fibre Optice Advice

Nigel,

I've specified/bought pre-terminated fibre before and it's a viable option
provided your installation contractor is reliable. In most cases it was
bee=
installed without incident, however on one particular site it really got
trashed and we had to bring in the supplier  to re-terminate one end of the
cable. Make sure you specify a pulling eye & protection for the
"free" end
of the cable to protect it as it's drawn around the site.

I used to specify Dynamode media converters, but like another poster I've
changed over to Hirschmann kit a while ago and have been very pleased with
it.

My rough-n-ready estimate for 4-core fibre is =A3120 for the terminations
(8-off) plus =A31/m for the cable, so a 50m run would be in the region of
=A3170, plus VAT. I can let you have the supplier and the spec of what I
bu=
if you send me a mail off-list :-)

HTH,

Tim.

On 2/27/06, Richard Challis <richard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> I am installing 12 core and only terminating 6. This is because I am
> having
> about 8 kilometres multimode custom covered in a green sheath to make
it
> different to other cables at our site. The 5 or so cameras which are
just
> requiring radial runs as opposed to the 25 plus cameras that near our
> fibre
> ring don't justify cost wise the benefits of doing a run of less
cores.
> The
> minimum for the custom coating is 2km.
>
> Wadsworth have limited their range, but they are open to phone calls
if
> you
> need another sort of cable. What they do stock they are flexible on
price
> for quantity and so it keeps my budget happy :)
>
> Oh and standard saying at this point - I have no interest in Wadsworth
> other
> than being a happy customer.
>
> We are getting two reels of 1 KM singlemode and 400 MT multimode fibre
> made
> up pre-terminated for when a FLT driver does something creative and
takes
> out a fibre. Plus some 6km of the singlemode fibre is going in our
mine
> and
> the main cable route is the same route that the really heavy duty mine
> machines drive on.
>
> Very tempting to put in one or two runs of fibre at home as I now have
> access to the terminating kit and test gear :) But this may be OTT.
But

<richard@...> wrote:

> > > I've used www.wadsworth.co.uk
> > > quite a few times now, best normally to phone them.
> > >
> > > I am doing the same as yourself. I have a local IT company
coming to
> > site to
> > > pull in and terminate some fibre. But wadsworth have quoted
me in
> > the past
> > > for pre-terminated cables.
> > >
> > > Pre-terminated in this in this instance is not financially
viable as
> > we have
> > > quite a few cameras going in. So it's worth getting a
contractor in t=
> > > terminate them.
> > >
> > > Using catt5e converters to fibre in the main room this is
> > terminating in.
> > > Running through steel tape armoured fibre cable to a local
patch box
> > in a
> > > small power supply panel. We are putting local 24v AC and DC
power
> > supplies
> > > in a small panel below the camera, with a condensation
heater and
> > > thermostat. Using a Hirschmann spider 4TX/1FX converter to
go from
> > fibre to
> > > 10/100 baseT for the camera. http://www.hirschmann.com/ - we get
> > ours from