Latest message you have seen: Re: DIN Rail Support Brackets?

Re: Fibre Optice Advice

Thanks Tim (and everyone else for the feedback),

I will take you up on your offer and contact off-list for more
information.

Meanwhile, back to 'Lennie Lightwave's Guide to Fiber Optics'!

Nigel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim Hawes" <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Nigel,
>=20
> I've specified/bought pre-terminated fibre before and it's a viable
option
> provided your installation contractor is reliable. In most cases it
was been
> installed without incident, however on one particular site it really
got
> trashed and we had to bring in the supplier  to re-terminate one end
of the
> cable. Make sure you specify a pulling eye & protection for the
"free" end
> of the cable to protect it as it's drawn around the site.
>=20
> I used to specify Dynamode media converters, but like another poster
I've
> changed over to Hirschmann kit a while ago and have been very
pleased with
> it.
>=20
> My rough-n-ready estimate for 4-core fibre is =A3120 for the
terminations
> (8-off) plus =A31/m for the cable, so a 50m run would be in the region
of
> =A3170, plus VAT. I can let you have the supplier and the spec of what
I buy
> if you send me a mail off-list :-)
>=20
> HTH,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
>=20
> On 2/27/06, Richard Challis <richard@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nigel,
> >
> > I am installing 12 core and only terminating 6. This is because I
am
> > having
> > about 8 kilometres multimode custom covered in a green sheath to
make it
> > different to other cables at our site. The 5 or so cameras which
are just
> > requiring radial runs as opposed to the 25 plus cameras that near
our
> > fibre
> > ring don't justify cost wise the benefits of doing a run of less
cores.
> > The
> > minimum for the custom coating is 2km.
> >
> > Wadsworth have limited their range, but they are open to phone
calls if
> > you
> > need another sort of cable. What they do stock they are flexible
on price
> > for quantity and so it keeps my budget happy :)
> >
> > Oh and standard saying at this point - I have no interest in
Wadsworth
> > other
> > than being a happy customer.
> >
> > We are getting two reels of 1 KM singlemode and 400 MT multimode
fibre
> > made
> > up pre-terminated for when a FLT driver does something creative
and takes
> > out a fibre. Plus some 6km of the singlemode fibre is going in
our
mine
> > and
> > the main cable route is the same route that the really heavy duty
mine
> > machines drive on.
> >
> > Very tempting to put in one or two runs of fibre at home as I now
have
> > access to the terminating kit and test gear :) But this may be
OTT. But
> > under the "UKHA bargain" rules this is probably a must
have.

> > Cheers
> >
> > Richard

(sadly).

> [...]