was: Re: Idratek - Serious Contender? Now: Alternative to clipsal switches in C-Bus Install

  • Subject: was: Re: Idratek - Serious Contender? Now: Alternative to clipsal switches in C-Bus Install
  • From: "g8kmh" <lehane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:37:36 -0000

Yes, DMX does 'die' if the transmitter fails. Hence the use of a=20
standlaone transmitter/controller rather than the PC driven USB/dumb=20
PIC approach. So long as the DMX cable is there and the controller=20
has +5V there are lights.

A lot of bench testing went on over Xmas and now we're into the=20
realisation phase...

Lehane

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@c...> wrote:

> Lehane,
>=20
> Very impressive setup, I had considered DMX as lighting control but=20
never having used it I didn't feel 'comfortable'. One issue was that=20
without a constant feed of data the lights would 'go off?'. Sounds as=20
if you have got round this one...
>=20
> Glad to see I am not the only one who likes to do drawings...
>=20
> I will be using the Netiom for control of my UFH (11 Zones) but=20
will probably stick with the Midon Temp08 for temperature measurement=20
(Dallas 1 wire) with intelligence provided by Homeseer. I too had=20
planned for a mechanical over-ride using a hall located=20
electromechanical thermostat.
>=20
> Keep us posted...
>=20
> Nigel
>=20

scene triggers, dim, etc... I agree I will be losing the indicators=20
which is a definite downside.

> > The reason for using the C-Bus Aux units is that they=20
are 'Clipsal' units.

> > I have used the VIOM before and I am very impressed, not tried=20
the NETIOM yet but it is high on my list of adaptable solutions, I=20
have it in mind for the gate at the end of the drive. By using a=20
NETIOM (and a PC) the lighting system would become a little too non=20
standard.

> > I would be interested in using the solution you suggest 'on
top=20
of' the C-Bus system to add additional intelligence. That is to=20
say 'nice to have' features rather than 'must have'. By that I mean=20
light switches need to be 99.99% reliable, adding a PC to the mix=20
could reduce this figure somewhat...

> > Regards
> >
> > Nigel

like=20
the clipsal C-Bus switches they are only switches ...
> >>=20=20=20=20=20
> > Actually they are quite a bit more in practice. Aside from
simple=20
ONOFF=20
> > they can easily be set up for many actions including dimming,=20
ramps,=20
> > timers, scene triggers etc, and they have multi state feedback=20
> > indicators.  Some switches have IR receivers too.  Most=20
importantly=20
> > depending on the model of switch they can also store and
manage=20
scenes=20
> > on C-Bus.   C-Bus is also very intelligent with regard to any=20
> > discrepancies it comes across (for example 2 switches think a=20
light is=20
> > ON but another switch and a dimmer thinks it's OFF, perhaps=20
caused by a=20
> > glitch, or a network interruption).  There is an involved=20
arbitration=20
> > system that will resolve such inconsistencies that C-Bus
switches=20
> > participate in.  Also although it is fairly simple to send=20
a "Group XX=20
> > to Level YY" onto C-Bus say via the PCI - something on C-Bus
has=20
to=20
> > maintain the group level and report it periodically , you
can't=20
create=20
> > 'phantom' groups on C-Bus that are maintained like true C-Bus=20
groups=20
> > (arbitration/reporting/status etc) .  This means that some
C-Bus=20
> > hardware device has to have the group defined.
> >
> > One of the things I am doing is using xAP to control C-Bus -=20
hence any=20
> > switch that can generate a xAP command can control a C-Bus
load.=20=20
The=20
> > xAP Netiom for example has 16 inputs (which are debounced) and=20
thus can=20
> > attach to 16 switches - for =A370+VAT - also you get 16 outputs
as=20
well. -=20
> > usable for relays with C-Bus control.=20
> > http://www.phaedrusltd.com/pages/html/netiom-xap.html
> > What I don't know just yet is how immune these are to long=20
distance runs=20
> > for the switches. If you can run the wires not alongside any=20
mains that=20
> > would help of course.   For say 4 x 4 way switches in one room=20
this=20
> > might be worth considering. There are a couple of other things=20
like how=20
> > to get dimming working based on momentary actions and how to
map=20
xAP to=20
> > C-Bus groups but all achievable (currently needs a PC
application=20
helper).